I hope that you have been enjoying your vacation so far.
We are currently recruiting advisers, senior advisers, tutors and developers for Orbital 2022.
(For those of you who have not heard of or participated in Orbital, it is the School of Computing’s 1st year summer self-directed, independent work course. This programme gives students the opportunity to pick up software development skills on their own, using sources on the web. For more information, please refer to the official website for Orbital: https://orbital.comp.nus.edu.sg/.)
The job scopes of the positions are as follows:
– Adviser: You will be the peer evaluator, project manager and cheerleader for ~6 (beginner / intermediate) teams taking Orbital. This means that you are to evaluate the progress of a few Orbital teams every month and guide those teams through the project. You don’t need to be tech-savvy — as long as you are willing to give feedback to the teams and help them along, you will have a good time with them.
Busy period: May to Aug (especially close to the monthly milestone evaluations)
– Senior adviser: If you are experienced and willing to take care of up to ~15 (advanced / extreme) teams, you could apply for the senior adviser role instead and get paid at the part-time TA rate (which is roughly 3 times higher than the student helper rate).
– Mentor: If you are experienced but only have time to guide 1~2 (extreme) teams without any admin / evaluation duties, you could apply for the mentor role instead. This is a non-paid position.
– Tutor: You will be the instructor for Mission Control. This means you are in charge of conducting technical workshops (e.g., introductory mobile app / web app development) and project consultations for the students. If you wanted to level up on your teaching skills, this is your opportunity. You don’t have to be an expert to teach — anyone can do it if they’re committed, and you can always answer the tough questions offline.
Busy period: Apr to Jun (especially close to the Mission Control sessions)
– Developer: You will be in charge of developing and maintaining Skylab (i.e., the official portal for Orbital). This will be a good chance for you to get firsthand experience on improving a web application for the benefit of all future Orbital students. Experience in ruby on rails and nginx is preferred but not required. You can always pick up the necessary skills as you work on the system.
Busy period: Late Feb to early Jun (especially before the major events / milestones)
Note that the slots are 2 hours long to simplify the sign up process. You will be notified about the exact 20-minute slot (within the 2-hour slot) for the interview and the Zoom meeting link one day before the interview.
If you are interested but unable to make it for the slots given in the Doodle form, please contact me by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) to arrange for an interview separately.
Look forward to hearing from you!