Posted on December 8, 2017 by orbital
[Summary: Go to https://doodle.com/poll/5simzzpb78seg2iw to pick your slot if you want to interview for 2018 Orbital staff (advisors/tutors/developers) this month. The venue for the interview is COM2-02-10.]
Congratulations again to all of the Orbital 2017 graduates. It’s now your turn to go beyond Earth orbit and be a part of the team to help the next 2018 Orbital cohort accomplish their project goals.
We are currently starting our recruitment drive for advisors, tutors and developers:
– Advisors act as peer assessors and cheerleaders for teams taking Orbital — you all had the experience of being under their wing this past summer. Here’s your chance to shine and contribute back to your juniors.
– Tutors act as the primary instructor for a mission control session or a Liftoff session. This means you are in control of teaching a particular subject for 1~3 hours. If you wanted to level up on public speaking and technical tutorials, this is your opportunity. You don’t have to be an expert to teach — anyone can do it if they’re committed, and you can always answer the tough questions offline.
– Developers are in charge of developing and maintaining Skylab (i.e., the official portal for Orbital). Since you have been using Skylab throughout the programme, you should have quite some ideas about what can be improved in the system. This will be a good chance for you to implement those ideas for the benefit of future Orbital students. Experience in ruby on rails and nginx is preferred but not required. You can always pick up the necessary skills as you work on the system.
We are going to be holding interviews primarily at the beginning of the vacation and the new semester. If you wish to be interviewed for any of these positions, please visit the Doodle form (https://doodle.com/poll/5simzzpb78seg2iw) and sign up for an interview slot.
If you are interested but unable to make it for the slots given in the Doodle form, please contact me directly via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) to arrange for an interview. Do take note that more interview slots will be available in mid-January. Please watch out for our second recruitment call early next year.
Look forward to hearing from you!
– Jin (Orbital Coordinator)
– I’m going on NOC, can I participate?
– I’m planning to take a full-time internship, can I participate?
– I’m not going to be around SG this coming summer, can I participate?
The answer to these three questions is all the same: Yes, please apply. However, please also read the position-specific information given below:
For advisors: You may know that some advisors were not local during your cohort as well. The job can be done entirely remotely from NUS. That said, applicants who are local and who do physically participate in the activities will generally bond better with their teams (unsurprisingly).
For tutors: You will have to be in Singapore for the sessions that you are assigned to teach. The lift-off sessions will be on 14/15 May while the mission control sessions are scheduled on 19/26 May and 2/9/16 June. Usually we allow you to choose the sessions that work for your schedule and we can discuss about this later.
For developers: You can work anywhere anytime for this position. However, once some development tasks are assigned to you, you should work on those tasks actively and update your progress regularly.
– How much money can I expect to earn as a staff member?
The monetary remuneration is small, but the bragging rights and the additional job you can list on your CV/resume will hopefully make it worthwhile (aside from the intrinsic goodness of helping your fellow SoCian!).